We know you scrambled to meet the deadline, but fleets that implemented ELDs before the deadline report that it paid off – in some cases, literally.
Over time, the FMCSA estimates the benefits to implementing ELD will only increase. Here are some stats outlining how ELD positively impacts fleet efficiency, safety and costs:
ELDs save time and money.
- FMCSA’s cost-benefit analysis projects a $1.17 billion net benefit to carriers when they implement ELDs.
- The FMCSA estimates ELDs will save fleets $2.44 billion in clerical work. Of that, $1.88 billion worth of drivers’ time will be saved by eliminating the process of filling out and submitting paper logbooks to carriers.
- ELDs will reduce HOS paperwork time and add drive time by allowing drivers to round to the nearest minute for stops (unlike paper logbooks, which require drivers to round up to the nearest 15 minutes).
- Respondents to a 2016 Transplace survey reported benefits to ELD utilization that included improved monitoring (33%); better driver and equipment utilization (21%); driver convenience (10%); reduced operating costs (2%); and fuel savings (2%).
ELDs lead to safer driving.
- The FMCSA estimates that ELDs’ safety features will save an annual $572.2 million in accident-related costs.
- A study by the Center for Truck and Bus Safety at the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute found that drivers using ELD have an 11.7 % lower total crash rate and 5.1% lower preventable crash rate than trucks without ELDs.
- Based on the above percentages, the FMCSA estimated that ELDs can save 26 lives per year and prevent over 560 injuries per year.
ELDs help reduce violations.
- The 2016 Transplace survey of 2,000 carriers who’ve already implemented ELD found that 84% of respondents reported a reduction in their HOS and logging violations.
- ELD-equipped trucks had a 53% lower driving-related HOS violation rate and a 49% lower non-driving- related HOS violation rate than trucks not equipped with ELDs.
Check out Teletrac Navman’s ELD solutions here.
Sources: FMCSA; Overdrive; Transplace; Logistics Viewpoints; Overdrive